Scientific researches communication gap in Nepal

While I was reviewing hundreds of research papers about climate change based on Nepal, I came across a research paper about the study on a river flow pattern with a changing climate from my own locality. It was published in a well recognized international journal. It was intriguing because
researches from small locality like my own area are also headlining the international journal. I sensed a little pride in me.
Though, It turned me off knowing the fact that I need to go through such a hard search and intense review process to know about the paper. The paper was pretty advanced with methodologies that seem out of reach from my level of understanding but the conclusions were relatable. It elucidated about the rate of warming process of the region linking with the water flow fluctuation in the river. Though results were research-based derivations, they have pretty pragmatic implications in day to day life for the villagers, farmers, and locals.
That made me question the kind of educational and institutional practice here in Nepal. Just, for instance, the research was carried out in our location, our resources were tested, results were derived without the knowledge to primary consumers. What's the point of such big projects if it can’t benefit or inform the local within the region? What's the impact if it is only limited within journal pages? I believe more pragmatic steps need to be taken to integrate the community level understanding in scientific works and researches. I don’t want to accuse a particular institution. My blame is to the whole system. I think our schools and institutes should integrate information providing systems about local-based researches. A community should be made aware of the conclusions and its implications so as to enhance a better understanding of general mass.
We demand more relevant study material in schools and colleges, that can produce more pragmatic and observable results on a local scale. Let us teach about things of regular use,  exhibit the local level researches, and focus upon different research possibilities. How can we promote and be the beneficiary of the education we take and works we carry. Let's create a foundation for applied education. We are in the 21st century. Every technology we use are getting advanced and competitive, why can’t be our education?

Post a Comment

0 Comments